Saturday, February 3, 2018

ECSE 421 RB #4

I learned a lot this week in class. I thought it was so interesting when we were talking about the grief cycle, especially in the context of being a professional working with families of children with special needs. Knowing the grief cycle can help us understand families and where they are at when we work with them. This is so good to know, so that we can better help the families instead of tearing them down. 

Another thing that really struck me hard was regarding the question, "Is our education system supporting a fatherless America?". I had never thought about this before. Of course we are! We are scheduling parent teacher conferences, IEP meetings, school performances, etc during the day when fathers are working and they cannot attend. We are inviting the mothers to come in and help out in the classroom, but not the fathers. We are not giving the fathers the opportunity to be available. During this discussion, I thought about how when I am a professional one day (if I decide to work in a school), I will do all that I can to prevent this from happening. I will schedule all those things at night, when the fathers can attend. I think it is so important, even if it cuts into my own personal time. Fathers need to be present. 

My father was so involved in my life, and I can see the impact it has had on my family and myself. Especially now that I am an adult and living away from home, I can see that I am who I am today because of my father and the man he was and is in my life. Every child deserves to be treated that way. 

Quote:

"It is important to wrestle and rough play with your children" -Sister Swenson in class

I really liked this because that is another reason why we need fathers, because they help in the development of their children in ways we never would have thought!

HWD:

In regards to my topic, I think having a father involved in the home can really help when it comes to families of children with special needs. I also liked the question posed in class, Do we spend money to fix the yard or do we go on a family trip? I think one of the best practices to balance the child with special needs and the children without is to just be a family. Do things together, and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment