Saturday, January 27, 2018

ECSE 340 RB 3

This week we talked about RBI's and home visits. One thing that I thought was interesting that we talked about was when we are meeting with the parents in their home about their child, it is so important that everything is about THEM. When asking the parents questions about their child's development and interventions plans (if they worked or didn't), the worst thing you could do was start talking about yourself. This is a time when we need to really pay attention to what they are saying and asking good, understanding questions to better help them rather than just relate stories about ourselves to them, because that is not the goal.

I think this is something I can really work on with my friends and my husband. I have caught myself a few times doing this and just wanting to relate a story from my own life to them instead of really listening and being there for them.

This will really help this semester as we plan to go into a strangers home to work with their infant. We want to develop a good, lasting relationship that is based on trust and friendship so that we can better help them and their infant in their development.

No comments:

Post a Comment