Friday, February 9, 2018

ECSE 421 RB 5

I really enjoyed our classes this week. I am a hands on person and I much rather enjoy having a conversation and hearing about real life experiences. So I really liked the videos we watched and the guest lecture that made everything so much more real for me. 

The guest lecture was such an eye opener for me. I love hearing real experiences of parents with children that have disabilities. They are all just so real and down to earth. They are real about the hard and bad parts about the disabilities and real about the good times as well. I also really like that they treat them just like any other child. I could tell that the mom that came to speak to us loved her children so much and would do anything for them. But I could also tell how hard it is sometimes, and that is OKAY! Sometimes we think that it is not okay to suffer or not okay to cry. But that is just a normal part of life. We just have to learn to love life through the trials. So when it comes to having a child with a disability, you accept that that is your life and that it will be hard but love them anyways.

One thing I really liked was that she put on her powerpoint that having children with a disability created stress in her marriage. I just like that she was honest about that. Especially after having 6 other kids of her own that were typically developing and then adopting 3 with disabilities. I can totally understand the stress it would create. But the amazing thing is that they worked through it and they continue to work on it everyday to create the best life for their children that they can.

Weekly Quote:
"Oh, I am so sorry! I didn't know that slapping my child would cure him of autism!"-Jenn

HWD:

I found this really cool website while researching this week. It is: https://www.homecity.com/creating-a-home-where-your-child-can-thrive-with-a-disability

It is a real estate website, but has so many ideas and resources for parents when it comes to modifications for the child with special needs! It has so many different ways you can modify your house so that your child with a special need can thrive and live comfortably. I think it was really cool that that was available for parents to refer to.

No comments:

Post a Comment