Friday, January 19, 2018

ECSE 340 Reflection Blog #2

Some information that I learned from this weeks readings that I didn't know before was the push to have the parents be the interventionists rather than the SLP or early interventionist. I really liked what it said in the reading how the job of the interventionist is to coach and teach the parents rather than coach and teach the child. This is important because when I decided to change my major to ECSE, I was first interested in the opportunity that I could be an early interventionist. I then thought about how great it would be to actually coach the parents on how to deal with their children with disabilities. Now, that is the push. We want to coach the parents and make sure they are the ones heading the intervention because they are with them the most and know them the most.

For the future home visits in this class, I learned that we should make plans according to the parents wants and what they decide the outcome to be. Once we work with the parent to decide the outcome, we can think of strategies and interventions that they can do in their home when we are gone. That should be our goal.

I do not have any additional questions at this time.

"The primary role is to WORK WITH and SUPPORT family members and caregivers. We should be behind the child or next to the parent".

No comments:

Post a Comment