Friday, January 19, 2018

Reflection Blog #2

From the readings this week, I learned a lot about the ADA and the process to how it all came about. We have come a long way in the last 60-100 years when it comes to the rights that those with disabilities have. The videos we watched this week were so interesting, and I never realized that those with disabilities have gone through so much. It makes me so sad to think about the fact that those with disabilities were being treated so poorly. We still have a long way to go, but now they are provided with the necessary services in schools and are able to hold and get good jobs which allow them to provide for themselves.

I really liked the videos we were assigned to watch. I learn well from visuals and videos. The readings were good as well, but I read them quick to get the main points out of the reading. From what we learned this week, I am prepared and ready to make changes in the way we address and talk about those with disabilities. I am going to try and say handicapped less, and special needs or disabilities more.

"Do we need to disguise ourselves to get closer?" I want to remember this quote later on to remind me that we don't need to disguise ourselves. We need to remember that everyone is a child of God and deserves to be treated the same. We shouldn't have to disguise ourselves, anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment