Friday, July 1, 2016

Wheelchair Simulation

Last week I did the wheelchair simulation and actually really enjoyed it. I was definitely pretty nervous at first, unsure of how people would treat me, how I would complete all of the tasks, and how I would go down the hills without flying and crashing.

When I first got the wheelchair and got myself outside of the Hinckley, I started feeling really excited because it was kind of fun! So I went a little farther and attempted to go down the hill. I didn't realize there were brakes though so I started going pretty fast, trying to stop myself by pull the wheels with my hands. That hurt like crazy. I ended up with some burns on my hands. Just then I heard a girl call from behind me, "Can I help you?!" I was like UM YES of course! She asked me where I was going and willingly pushed me there. She ended up actually being in the class and had already done this simulation, so she was compassionate towards me. I eventually made it to where I was going to meet up with my roommate.

While during the rest of the time, I was able to complete all of the tasks. The hardest one was going to the restroom. I found a restroom that was pretty open an easy to navigate. I did notice throughout the school though that some of the handicap buttons for the doors were not working, the door frames are extremely narrow and not wheelchair friendly, and there are some places that are just inaccessible with a wheelchair.

One of the funniest things to me was when I would run into people that I knew and they were extremely concerned and confused. But then I noticed how other people looked at me and treated me. Many people on campus are very kind and would open the door and hold it open for me every time I needed to go through. Some people would look at me and stare, a bit confused. And a lot of them looked and acted the way that I would have, just unsure of what to do. It is hard seeing someone in a wheelchair not knowing if they need help or not.

Overall it was a really neat learning experience. I really enjoyed being in that situation and having to accomplish tasks that are easy for me, but difficult for someone who is orthopedically  impaired. I also remembered that a lot of people in wheelchairs have additional disabilities as well that may make it even harder. I appreciated getting the opportunity to feel how they feel. It made me also realize that just because someone is in a wheelchair, doesn't mean they can't do a lot of things. Because they can. I was determined to open the door by myself and get myself through the door, or get up a hill, or use the restroom. It was a great experience and I learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment