Friday, July 15, 2016

Service Learning

For half of my service learning hours I went to the HANDS art class on campus 3 times. I absolutely love going to that art class. I have come to know and love the people that are there and I love serving/making crafts with them. I used to go to HANDS every week during the Fall semester and it always brought me so much peace and joy to be in their presence. They all taught me so much from their happy spirits and their determination to succeed in all that they do.

The first time we painted pictures. I don't remember exactly what it was but I know that we did some sort of craft :) The second time I went was with my roommate and we made masks out paper plates. That one was a lot of fun. It was fun to see the variety of the different masks and see what it was that the students enjoyed to create. That was something I loved about the class. They all  have such great imaginations and love to create. The third time I went we painted cups. Even though we do such simple crafts, it is just to just be there with them. I always learn so much from each and every person that goes and that we serve.

The other 2 hours of service learning I did at the Developmental Workshop. I went today and on Wednesday for an hour each. On Wednesday, I went with one of the instructors, Andy and Matty (not their real names) out to the community. We asked Andy where he wanted to go and he said he wanted to go to Wal-Mart to look for a CD. He will be in a talent show in a few weeks and wanted to find a song he could sing. So off we went to Wal-mart. When we got there, Andy didn't know where the CD's were so he needed to go ask an employee. He was really brave and asked an employee without any hesitation. I guess that is one of the things they have to complete if they go to a store or somewhere in the community as practice and learning. So we then found the CD's and helped them both realize that they didn't have enough money to buy one. They each went with $2.00 so they had a limited supply of what they could buy. They then led us to the candy aisle, searching for a snack. Eventually they picked out what they wanted and we went for a drive before heading back to the Developmental Workshop. The purpose of taking them out to the community was so that they could learn to use money and develop their social skills in everyday situations. It was a lot of fun!

Today I volunteered in a class. We first went outside and the instructor asked each student what they like to do to cool off during the summer. One thing I loved was there was a man there that is very hard to understand when he talks. There was a time he was trying to explain something to the instructor and he was getting frustrated with himself because it was difficult for him. But the instructor was very patient with him and encouraged him while he was thinking and attempting to speak. I think that is so important because then they have the courage and motivation to succeed whereas if the instructor were to get frustrated and not let him finish then he would be distraught and not want to speak again.

After we were outside for a bit, we went back inside and played UNO. They love playing Uno. I loved seeing them all interact with each other. They seem to just understand each other and connect on a different level. It is really cool and interesting to see. They were all so happy and joking around as well. I realized too that they are all so kind and so sweet. They really care about other people and think about others more than they think about themselves.

There is so much we can learn from people with disabilities and special needs. They are just like us. In some ways they are even better than us. They are such great examples and I am grateful for the opportunity and time I get to spend with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment