Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Language Fluency Impairment Simulation

This is the simulation I think I was the most afraid and nervous to do. It was something that was completely out of my comfort zone. But again, I felt like I was humbled and that it was a great experience for me. I have realized that there are so many kind people here that are willing to help those who need it anytime.

The first experience I had was at the library. I went to drop off some books that I had rented for my Children's Literature class. I went to give them to the guy at the desk and he told me to just put them in the drop box. I wasn't going to do it, but then I just forced myself to go to him again and ask him for another book that I needed for that same Children's Literature class. I went to him and asked him if they had "Tttthe Bbbbbronze Bbbow". He said, "Sorry, can you say that again? What was it?". I repeated it to him again with the stutter. He still wasn't exactly sure what I had asked so he asked me to write it down for him. He was really nice about it. While I was writing it down he says to me, "It's okay, English is my second language so sometimes it's hard for me to say some words and things". He then proceeded to find the book for me and check it out for me. He was asking me some questions and I didn't say much of a response because I was nervous still.

My next experience was a little easier and less nerve racking. I found an employee at Wal-Mart and asked her where the CD's were. She was so kind and led me right to them.

I realized how frustrating and hard it could be for a person with this disability because they know exactly what they want to say but have a hard time getting the point across. Then when people can't understand what you are saying and you must repeat it, that is so hard because it was hard enough to say it the first time. As a future teacher, I think it is good to know how they are feeling so that I know to be patient with them and just wait for them to say what they need to. I think it is also important to encourage them to speak. Even though it might be uncomfortable for them, they will be more comfortable as they speak more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment