Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Learning Disability Simulation

This simulation actually ended up being more difficult than I thought. It was frustrating because there are very few ways to say things without using words with N and L. I never realized how crucial those letters are in our vocabulary and everyday conversation. As I was doing these simulations, I found myself speaking very slowing and taking a lot more time to think and make sure I wasn't using words with those certain letters.

My first experience I went to Deseret Book with my roommates. My sister has been on a mission for a week now and so I decided to ask if they had anything for missionaries. I had to ask slowly and think about what exactly I was asking for. He asked me if there was anything specific for missionaries that I was looking for and I just said that she was at the MTC and so stuff for her. My sentences were very basic and simple. I admit I think I might have accidentally said a word with an N in it. It was hard not to.

My second experience was at Little Caesers. My roommates and I had a free pizza coupon so we decided to use it tonight. I got there and realized that when ordering pizza, there are a lot of words with N and L that are said. So I got to the registers and just said, "Two pizzas!" Luckily he asked me right away if we wanted pepperoni because we did and I wasn't quite sure how I was going to say that. Then he swiped my card and gave me my receit.

I think the hardest thing that I found with this simulation was that I couldn't say please, thank you, I want, I need, I am looking for, etc. I felt rude because I was just like "okay awesome" when they had been so helpful. And I am sure children with these learning disabilities get frustrated and feel depressed and sad because they can't say things like that to people when they really want to. It was a great experience for me to have and now I understand a little bit more what it is like to have a learning disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment