Friday, July 1, 2016

Student Independence

This week we have talked/learned a lot about what we as teachers can do to help our students to become independent as they transition to college. Today in class, we had Emily Bowe present to us. She is 15 and has been blind since birth. From her experiences and the things that she shared with the class, I could see that because her mom and teachers had given her freedom and helped her develop the necessary skills, she was independent and able to do a lot of the same things we can do. She doesn't let her disability define her or inhibit her from herself and enjoying life.

Some things that really impressed me about her today was her joy and love for being blind. To me, it frightens me to ever have to live blind and not being able to see anything. It is all she has ever known, but it is something that she loves about herself. She doesn't let her stop her from living and enjoying life either. She still loves to do all the same things that we love to do. After class I was thinking about all my fears that keep me from living and enjoying life. There are a lot of things that I let hinder my chance to develop my talents and create new experiences.

It is great to think that even when students have disabilities, they are still so capable. They shouldn't be treated any differently, but given the correct accommodations and modifications to assist them. That is why it is so important to help students to develop the skills to be independent and succeed on their own because it is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment