Saturday, March 3, 2018

ECSE 421 RB 8

This week we got ready for our family project presentations and then gave them in class. I enjoyed giving our presentation and felt like it went really well. We were well prepared with all our information and resources to share. I also really enjoyed all the other presentations that were given. It was really interesting and fun to hear about all the different disabilities that were in each family and the resources that were found for each family by the students. A lot of the disabilities included speech therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy, which is common. However, some of the groups were very creative with their material and informational resources as well. There was one group that found a website of toys made specifically for children with special needs, each toy intentionally catering to a certain skill. 


Weekly Quote:

"'Why didn’t you ever tell me you couldn’t hear?' He told me he didn’t know he couldn’t. He thought how he was feeling was normal." -Lauren (blogpost)

HWD:
This week I found another blog post from a mother who's son was diagnosed with severe hearing loss in his right ear in 6th grade. I loved reading her experiences with each of the stages of grief. The few that I have read have generally been the same, carrying guilt and shame and then leading to acceptance. One of my friends, who was my old roommates cousin, passed away 2 weeks ago. She was 21 years old. I didn't know her very well, but I have seen the stages of grief going on in my friends life, having to deal with the passing of her dear sweet best friend and cousin. At the beginning of the blogpost that I read this week, the lady who wrote it said that she always thought the grief cycle occurred when you experience a death. However, she quickly realized that it was not, when her son was diagnosed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment